Your HVAC unit plays a vital role in keeping your home comfortable throughout the year. It ensures proper airflow, regulates temperature and maintains indoor air quality. To ensure its optimal performance and longevity, regular maintenance is essential.
We know no one particularly likes to have extra visits for maintenance, but we also know everyone wants their unit to last for years to come. That said, here are some of our top care tips for you to do so that you can maximize the efficiency of your HVAC system and enjoy a comfortable living space all year.
Change the air filter regularly
One of the simplest yet most effective ways to care for your HVAC unit is by regularly changing its air filter—and that’s something you can do without a housecall. A clogged or dirty air filter restricts airflow, making your system work harder to circulate air throughout your home. This extra strain can lead to increased energy consumption and even potential damage to your HVAC unit.
- Aim to replace the air filter every one to three months, depending on factors like indoor air quality, dust levels, and the presence of pets or allergies.
Keep unit area tidy
Maintaining a clean environment around your HVAC unit is crucial for its optimal performance. By keeping the area around your HVAC unit clean and unobstructed, you promote efficient operation and prevent potential hazards.
- Maintain a 2-feet clearance around the unit.
- Remove any debris, leaves, or obstructions that may accumulate near the outdoor unit.
- Avoid storing items near the unit that could restrict air circulation or potentially damage the equipment.
Check air ducts
The air ducts in your home play a significant role in delivering conditioned air to different rooms. Over time, ductwork can develop leaks, cracks, or accumulations of dust and debris.
- Inspect your air ducts for any visible damage and ensure they are properly sealed. Leaky ducts can lead to energy loss and reduced efficiency, causing your HVAC system to work harder.
- Consider hiring a professional to perform a thorough duct cleaning and sealing if necessary, as this can significantly improve your system's performance.
Clean the coils
Both the evaporator and condenser coils in your HVAC unit are responsible for heat exchange. Over time these coils can accumulate dirt, dust, and debris, reducing their efficiency.
- Regularly clean the coils to remove any build-up that may hinder heat transfer.
- Use a soft brush or a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to gently remove dirt from the coils.
- We recommend scheduling maintenance at least once a year to perform a thorough cleaning and inspection of the coils.
Speaking of having a professional check your coils, we strongly recommend scheduling regular maintenance tune-ups with a licensed HVAC technician at Godwin Plumbing to ensure your HVAC unit remains in top condition. We will inspect, clean, and tune your system to identify and address any potential issues before they turn into major problems. During a maintenance visit, our technician will perform a comprehensive system evaluation. Taking a proactive approach can enhance efficiency, extend the lifespan of your HVAC unit, and save you from unexpected breakdowns.
Remember, a well-maintained HVAC unit not only provides a comfortable living environment but also helps save energy and reduce utility costs. So, invest a little time and effort into caring for your HVAC system, and it will reward you with years of reliable and efficient performance. Godwin’s heating and cooling services will keep your appliances running smoothly and your space comfortable. Our team is helpful and reliable, so you can be comfortable during repairs, installation, or service maintenance. You’ll get no high-pressure sales tactics from us – just a clear explanation of your options and a promise to get the job done right the first time.
GODWIN PLUMBING & HARDWARE
3703 S Division Ave
Grand Rapids, MI 49548 US
Phone: (616) 248-9513
Schedule an HVAC appointment with us!